Kock's or Koch's (St. Emma) Plantation, LA

September 24, 1862, and July 13, 1863

St. Emma Plantation, looking west.


[Only July 13, 1863] Confederates attacked from left to right, moving around plantation house. Federals were positioned along a road to the right of the picture.

Photos and captions by Dave Comeau, October 1997


State historical marker at the site:

St. Emma Plantation

Scene of Civil War skirmish in fall of 1862. C.1850 Greek Revival plantation house owned 1854-1869 by Charles A. Kock, a prominent sugar planter. Listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1980.